Glaucoma is a common cause of blindness. Patients are often asymptomatic, and screening is prudent in at-risk patients.
Main risk factors are:
- Age. Elderly patients are at risk.
- Family History. 1st Degree relatives with glaucoma.
- Race. African heritage patients are particularly important to monitor.
- Myopia and Diabetes.
- Raised intraocular pressure.
Suggested Screening Protocol:
- Patients with strong family history of glaucoma for evaluation:
- African patients 2 yearly from the age of 30, then yearly from the age of 50.
- Other races 2 yearly from the age 40, then yearly from the age of 60.
- Screening include:
- Central corneal thickness
- Intraocular pressure
- Biometric 3D OCT scan of the optic nerve
- Colour photos of optic nerve
Our practice can offer patients cost-effective glaucoma screening using the above protocol.
Please use one of the following methods for bookings:
- Tel: 041 373 8800
- Email: email@example.com
- Whatsapp: 066 313 4259